Bisley Photographs

An exercise to produce photos of specific houses and areas of Bisley as it is now.

Arts and Crafts

Research into local arts and craft personalities and examples of their work

Fostons Ash

Fostons Ash is near Bidfield at the junction of Calfway and the Slad to Birdlip Road. Although of little significant history, it has an interesting name which involves a character called Foston and a tollgate made of ash. The building was originally a toll house. The story goes that Foston disliked paying tolls and instead […]

Thomas Keble

Thomas Keble was born at Court Close, Fairford on 25 October 1793, the younger son of John Keble, vicar of Coln St Aldwyns, and his wife Sarah. John Keble, his elder brother, was one of the major figures in the Oxford Movement. Like his brother, Thomas was educated entirely by his father at home; at […]

Some Local Memories

1961 Cheltenham Road consisted of; Upper and Lower Southmeads farms were both dairy and family run farms, Holbrook cottage where Charlie Dean lived with his sister. Charlie had been butler to Lady Astor and had crossed the Atlantic to the USA many many times, maybe if he’d been called Burrows he would have written a […]

Cirencester to Gloucester

This was  a Medieval Route from Cirencester.to Painswick and then on to Gloucester. From Cirencester the track ran via Park Corner, Tunley Bottom and Waterlane to Bisley. In Bear Pitch, there is a milestone on the right, near the village lock up, marked 10 miles to Gloucester. The track passed the Bear Inn and proceeded to […]

Bisley Workhouse (Joiners)

The heavy burden of poor-relief in a parish with so numerous a population of cottage weavers led to a succession of expedients. In 1677 the parish officers were given permission to build poorhouses and in 1726 the parish hired a house called Joiners for use as a workhouse. In the 1730s and 1740s the workhouse housed 30-60 paupers. In the year […]

Pubs and Ale Houses

There were reputed to be fourteen pubs in Bisley in the 19th century and possibly several houses selling ale as well. There are now only two pubs remaining – The Bear and The Stirrup Cup (formerly called The New Inn). The George Inn, closed in about 1969, is now the George Stores The Bell, closed in […]

Jaynes Court

Jaynes Court was originally called Higons Court and was described in 1608 as a house of 6 bays with outbuildings including a detached kitchen. It was rebuilt in the early 18th century, and a service wing was added on the west in the early 19th. An octagonal building in the grounds houses a cock-pit.

Over Court

Overcourt is the principle manor house of Bisley. occupying a position in the middle of the village. Originally  a medieval hall it was extended in Tudor and subsequently Queen Anne styles which are seen from the outside. Inside more recent work has made the house into a beautiful home. Over Court, which in 1608 was […]