Places

Fostons Ash

Fostons Ash is near Bidfield at the junction of Calfway and the Slad to Birdlip Road. Although of little significant history, it has an interesting name which involves a character called Foston and a tollgate made of ash. The building was originally a toll house. The story goes that Foston disliked paying tolls and instead […]

Bisley Workhouse (Joiners)

The heavy burden of poor-relief in a parish with so numerous a population of cottage weavers led to a succession of expedients. In 1677 the parish officers were given permission to build poorhouses and in 1726 the parish hired a house called Joiners for use as a workhouse. In the 1730s and 1740s the workhouse housed 30-60 paupers. In the year […]

Pubs and Ale Houses

There were reputed to be fourteen pubs in Bisley in the 19th century and possibly several houses selling ale as well. There are now only two pubs remaining – The Bear and The Stirrup Cup (formerly called The New Inn). The George Inn, closed in about 1969, is now the George Stores The Bell, closed in […]

Jaynes Court

Jaynes Court was originally called Higons Court and was described in 1608 as a house of 6 bays with outbuildings including a detached kitchen. It was rebuilt in the early 18th century, and a service wing was added on the west in the early 19th. An octagonal building in the grounds houses a cock-pit.

Over Court

Overcourt is the principle manor house of Bisley. occupying a position in the middle of the village. Originally  a medieval hall it was extended in Tudor and subsequently Queen Anne styles which are seen from the outside. Inside more recent work has made the house into a beautiful home. Over Court, which in 1608 was […]

The New Inn at The Camp

This pub, until its closure in 1959, was run by Bill Workman. At that time, he was the only man who used hairgrips to keep his hair out of his eves. He was a big burly man and drew good beer from the wood. The slides in his hair were helpful in terms of trade: […]

Highwayman at the George Inn

Reported in the Gloucester Journal, 23 July 1763 About noon on the previous Saturday a man entered a blacksmith’s shop in Chalford Bottom to have his horse shod. There it was recognised that both he and his horse met the description of a highwayman who three weeks earlier had robbed and shot a man on […]