The heavy burden of poor-relief in a parish with so numerous a population of cottage weavers led to a succession of expedients. In 1677 the parish officers were given permission to build poorhouses and in 1726 the parish hired a house called Joiners for use as a workhouse. In the 1730s and 1740s the workhouse housed 30-60 paupers. In the year […]
Jaynes Court was originally called Higons Court and was described in 1608 as a house of 6 bays with outbuildings including a detached kitchen. It was rebuilt in the early 18th century, and a service wing was added on the west in the early 19th. An octagonal building in the grounds houses a cock-pit.
Overcourt is the principle manor house of Bisley. occupying a position in the middle of the village. Originally a medieval hall it was extended in Tudor and subsequently Queen Anne styles which are seen from the outside. Inside more recent work has made the house into a beautiful home. Over Court, which in 1608 was […]