This pub, until its closure in 1959, was run by Bill Workman. At that time, he was the only man who used hairgrips to keep his hair out of his eves. He was a big burly man and drew good beer from the wood. The slides in his hair were helpful in terms of trade: People used to come from miles around to see them. It seems to have been an old—fashioned friendly pub. Darts were played by the light of a paraffin lamp. As it blacked out its glass, scoring became increasingly approximate.
On holidays, there was always somebody to play a piano, a mouth organ or a tin whistle. There were two public rooms, the Narrow Bar divided by a passage from the Top Room which had a scrubbed table where people played at quoits. There was a settle in the window for spectators. The council houses behind the pub were not built until 1943. He had no till and kept all the money, banknotes and coins alike, spread out on a table in the back room. When change was needed, he went in and fumbled around until he found (approximately) what he was looking for.