Sir Robert Atkyns, the lord of the manor, obtained a royal grant for a Thursday market and fairs on 23 April and 1 November in 1687. He sold his rights in them, and the right to use the streets of the village to hold them, to John Eldridge, a Bisley innkeeper, in 1706, and in 1710 Eldridge sold the right for £150 to Thomas Parker of Sapperton. (fn. 314) By the early 19th century, however, the rights in the market and fairs had returned to the lord of the manor. (fn. 315) The fairs, subsequently changed to 4 May and 12 November. were doing a considerable trade in cattle in the 1770s but the weekly market was then little frequented, a circumstance attributed to the unfavourable position of the village and the steepness of the roads leading to it. in its heyday the market occupied the whole of the High Street and George Street to the Bear Inn. The market later ceased to be held and an attempt to revive it was made in 1802 when a year’s toll-free trading was offered as an incentive. This attempt appears to have had little success as no record of the market has been found since. The two fairs continued to be held, mainly for the sale of sheep and pigs, until the 1880s. Bisley had a traditional style market-house recorded in 1740, and in 1827 it was resolved to shorten it by one bay. Apparently it stood on the east side of the High Street but was demolished in the later 19th century. The site now is now occupied by the by the existing Court House.