The Stirrup Cup Inn is located in New Inn Square opposite the War Memorial . It was formerly called The New Inn and the name was changed in 19XX.
Bisley’s Pubs No 1
Outside the New Inn (Stirrup cup)
A picture that sets the scene for village pubs in the 1900s. The haunt of farm workers, farmers and local craftsmen, few women dared to cross the threshold.
Two mule carts have pulled up and the workers are having a much needed pint after the day’s work. The poles in the cart could be for scaffolding.￼
The tall man standing in the doorway with a bowler hat is String Driver, a casual farm worker who ended his days in living in a shepherd’s hut in the yard at Rectory farm.
The New Inn (Stirrup Cup ) no 2
Around 1871, David Skinner, formerly a carpenter, became the landlord of the ￼New Inn. Like most other landlords in the village, he found it impossible to make a living from a pub alone. So he looked around for other opportunities. He decided to start a coaching business. In the early years of the 20th century hardly any of the gentry had cars. Nor was there a bus service. He could offer transport and he soon amassed a handsome collection of carriages for the gentry, a Victoria and a landau ( seen in the picture below ) with a waggon cart for their luggage. There was a pony and trap for lesser mortals and￼ a wagonette to take the villagers on excursions while a coachouse was added with stables and a hayloft.
It became a family business with two of David’s sons , Alfred and George acting as ‘under grooms.￼￼’ for a time. In 1901 David Skinner moved over to Priest House and died in 1906.
This photograph was taken about 1910 when David’s son Harry had taken over the pub￼ and his children pose for the camera.
From left to right, Una stands in front of the family sitting room, in front of the snug with the sash window is Walter , in the doorway is Nora and leaning against the landau is Fred￼￼.
Leaning nonchalantly against his mule is Alfred Skinner Of Bisley farm remembered by some as “an ambitious, energetic rogue”￼￼￼
The New Inn (Stirrup Cup) part 3
In 1929 the first of the Restall family took over at the pub. Gilbert Restall was a carpenter and photographer but his stay was a short one as he died in 1933. His wedding, in 1913, is pictured below. He married Bessie Brunsdon , daughter of Richard Brunsdon, landlord of the Bear. His blurred image can just be seen behind the couple. Bessie took over on the death of her husband and ran the pub for many years. She was helped by her son, Les Restall who eventually became the landlord and he continued at the pub until his retirement in 1984.
He is seen here as a small boy with his cousin Enid Brunsdon
These lovely photos were lent by a family member some years ago to be copied for inclusion in the Bisley History book.
Bisley Pubs The New Inn – No 4
The butcher’s cart piled high with joints of meat is ready for delivery to Oakridge and Waterlane. Two of Harry Skinner’s sons stand by the cart in front of the butchers shop. it is 1911
Harry Skinner , landlord, butcher and carriage hirer with his family, a number of whom were born at the New Inn. From the left, Walter with his dog, Harry sitting next to him, next to him Una, then Fred. Mrs Skinner seated, behind her Norah. Sitting in the front row Maurice, Joe and George with Tim, the dog and Royals, the family cat. The complete family!
Acknowledgement The above represents the research and photo collection of Juliet Shipman.