One of oldest pubs in Bisley, it was built after the village got its market charter in 1687. It was hoped that the market would bring business to the Inn but the market failed. However the pub struggled on until the 1930s or 40s when it finally closed.
By 1950 the pub was uninhabited and derelict and about to be demolished. A campaign was started to save it. Local craftsman repaired the building in their spare time and an appeal raised funds to buy it. The pub was saved and it became the headquarters of the British Legion and included a meeting place for villagers￼￼￼￼￼. The British Legion sold the building in 19xx and it then became a doctors surgery. It is now a private residence. The name British Legion is still visible above the old entrance archway.
Parked by the Bell is Harry Skinner’s wagonette, used for village outings and coming down the street in a pony and trap is Mr and Mrs Harry Skinner. A boy watches, a yolk across his shoulders. He has probably been down to the Wells to fetch water.
Right: John Trinder was licensee at the pub from c1842 to c1862. He farmed 8 acres, his son Alfred Trinder grew up there and went on to farm at Derryards for many years. One of his grandchildren was Alice Nation. Alfred pictured here with his wife Ann was born in 1833. He died in 1919 aged 86￼.
Acknowledgement Juliet Shipman for content and photos Howard Beard for photo.