Now Hartwell Cottage, ( built around 1630) it is one of the finest in Bisley with its handsome arched doorway and mullion windows. Open as an inn from 1771, it is sited down a back lane away from the High Street where horse-drawn coaches and wagons would have passed through Bisley at that time. The licence lapsed in 1897 and only its large beautiful sign is remembered by villagers but sadly it has now disappeared.
At the White Hart in 1889, a local farmer called in for a drink and it was well known he had recently inherited a large sum of money. As he left the pub he was followed and at the top of the steps which lead into the churchyard he was attacked. But the local policeman was quickly on hand and arrested the young man who claimed he had wished to see the farmer “safely home“ as he had had some beer. Nevertheless he was committed for trial and his fate so far is unknown
In this picture it is now a private home and decorated for the coronation of George V in June 1911. At that time it was owned by Sir John Dorington of Lypiatt Park and possibly it is the tenant standing in the doorway. The pub, as such, had been closed since c1897. The struggle to keep it going was too much.
Pictures from Howard Beard and Juliet Shipman. Research by Juliet Shipman.