Author: WPbisle

Fostons Ash

Fostons Ash is near Bidfield at the junction of Calfway and the Slad to Birdlip Road. Although of little significant history, it has an interesting name which involves a character

Thomas Keble

Thomas Keble was born at Court Close, Fairford on 25 October 1793, the younger son of John Keble, vicar of Coln St Aldwyns, and his wife Sarah. John Keble, his elder

Some Local Memories

1961 Cheltenham Road consisted of; Upper and Lower Southmeads farms were both dairy and family run farms, Holbrook cottage where Charlie Dean lived with his sister. Charlie had been butler to

Cirencester to Gloucester

[caption id="attachment_197" align="alignleft" width="300"] Milestone in Catswood Lane.[/caption] This was  a Medieval Route from Cirencester.to Painswick and then on to Gloucester. From Cirencester the track ran via Park Corner, Tunley Bottom and

Bisley Workhouse (Joiners)

The heavy burden of poor-relief in a parish with so numerous a population of cottage weavers led to a succession of expedients. In 1677 the parish officers were given permission

Bisley Pubs and Ale Houses

There were reputed to be fourteen pubs in Bisley in the 19th century and possibly several houses selling ale as well. There are now only two pubs remaining - The Bear

Jaynes Court

Jaynes Court was originally called Higons Court and was described in 1608 as a house of 6 bays with outbuildings including a detached kitchen. It was rebuilt in the early 18th

Over Court

Overcourt is the principle manor house of Bisley. occupying a position in the middle of the village. Originally  a medieval hall it was extended in Tudor and subsequently Queen Anne

The New Inn at The Camp

  This pub, until its closure in 1959, was run by Bill Workman. At that time, he was the only man who used hairgrips to keep his hair out of his

George Inn Highwayman

Reported in the Gloucester Journal, 23 July 1763 About noon on the previous Saturday a man entered a blacksmith’s shop in Chalford Bottom to have his horse shod. There it was