Category: Uncategorized

Battlescombe Farms

The top photo shows the long drive down to Upper Battlescombe farm and its beautiful setting. Gordon Close came here as a tenant of Squire James of Edgeworth Manor in

Bisley Streets and Paths

CHURCH HILL IN THE EARLY 1900s With thanks to Museum in the Park Stroud and the late Wilf Merrett, who compiled a superb collection of local postcards that are now held

The Saddlery

A view down the High Street, on the left is the former George  Inn and on the right is the  Corner  Shop. But in the centre can be glimpsed a shed, roofed with

Cash Supply Stores

Clarke’s ‘ Cash Supply Stores ‘ was at the heart of village life. Three generations of the Clarke family ran it. Benjamin  Clarke  came first in 1877 as postmaster. His son Fred

The Smithy

ARTHUR DAVIS IN HIS FORGE  A villager remembers:   “Arthur was a genial, popular man and the smithy  became a place where the boys of the village  loved  to gather  and help out if necessary“. John Davis  also

The Bakery

This was  the village bakery until 1939. It is now known as Pax cottage. The bread was baked in old-fashioned bread ovens and there used to be a lovely smell of

Kilminsters

Edgar Kilminster , born in Chalford in 1860 was a soldier for many years. Later he used to repair shoes. In 1923 he married Gertrude Hirons and they sold drapery

The Kings Head

Photo courtesy of Howard Beard The King’s Head Inn, now Sinegar  House, was open by 1782 and  then  called the Three Horse Shoes.  Father and son, George and James Lugg followed each other as licensees

The White Hart

Now Hartwell Cottage, ( built around 1630) it is one of the finest in Bisley with its handsome arched doorway and mullion windows. Open as an inn from 1771, it

The Old Post Office

The post was originally in Clarke’s Shop in the High Street and subsequently next door. Later it was reopened in the George